From Coma to Cure: The Inspiring Tale of Battling Castleman Disease with Drug Repurposing

Imagine feeling like you’ve contracted the flu, only to fall into a coma three days later. This was Gary’s reality, an experience he describes as having “fatigue on a different level.” This wasn’t any ordinary illness; this was Castleman Disease. Through the heartbreaking and hope-filled chapters of Gary’s journey, the undeniable power of drug repurposing shines through.

Understanding Castleman Disease

Unlike the flu that may last a few days, Castleman Disease is a rare inflammatory disorder where the immune system mysteriously turns against the body’s organs. The resulting dysfunction feels like an excruciatingly severe flu, culminating in a life-threatening multi-organ failure.

For Gary, what began as unusual tiredness escalated rapidly. Within three days, he was on life support. Complications led to necrosis in his fingers, causing parts to be amputated. The very hands that had understood the art of carpentry for years now had to relearn the basics.

The Role of Drug Repurposing

After being diagnosed with Castleman Disease, Gary was introduced to Every Cure Co-founder Dr. David Fajgenbaum, a patient researcher who himself had battled and survived the same disease five times. Gary was first prescribed the only FDA-approved drug for Castleman Disease, which initially seemed to work. However, when Gary relapsed, it became evident that a more innovative approach was needed.

Enter the world of drug repurposing. Rather than relying solely on drugs specifically approved for Castleman Disease, the medical team explored existing drugs intended for other diseases. The objective? To discover if any could treat Castleman. The results were astounding. Gary has now been in remission for over six years, thanks to drugs repurposed from treatments for other conditions.

Why Drug Repurposing Matters

Gary’s story underlines the significance of drug repurposing, especially for rare diseases. While 95% of rare diseases lack an approved therapy, the remaining 5% that have treatments often find that those therapies don’t work universally. Drug repurposing offers a beacon of hope for patients like Gary, who might otherwise be left without options.

However, the potential of repurposing isn’t solely limited to individual efforts. Organizations like Every Cure harness AI and machine learning to delve into vast data sets, aiming to identify missed opportunities in drug repurposing. The goal is ambitious but clear: find treatments for every disease by repurposing existing drugs, ensuring no patient is left without hope.

Dr. Fajgenbaum through his work at the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for Cytokine Storm Treatment & Laboratory, he has also identified and advanced 16 other treatment approaches for Castleman Disease and cancer.

Arrow Shape Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube Play Arrow Left